FEES® Training - Kansas City - August 19-20, 2017 (0217-002)
Carolina Speech Pathology has a comprehensive Two Day FEES® Training Course "Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing: A Procedure for Evaluating Oropharyngeal Dysphagia" coming to Kansas City, MO August 19-20, 2017. Get registered now!
This course will be taught by Selena Reece, M.S., CCC-SLP, BCS-S and Rachel Walt, M.S., CCC-SLP. These energetic instructors have been teaching FEES courses for over five years. Both clinicians have completed thousands of FEES for patients across a variety of settings including ICU, acute, outpatient, and long-term care.
Selena Reece received her Master’s degree from University of North Carolina at Chapel in 2003 and became a Board Certified Specialist in Swallowing in 2015. She currently serves as the Director of Educational Resources for Carolina Speech Pathology and carries an active caseload providing mobile FEES services. She is deemed competent for supervision and training in FEES by Dr. Gregory Postma from Medical College of Georgia.
Rachel Hatteberg Walt attended the University of Kentucky for undergraduate and graduate school, graduating in 2007. Currently, Rachel works as a Flex Registry SLP at The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, assisting with FEES program establishment. She also serves as Product Manager for Altaravision, Inc and FEES Course Instructor for Carolina Speech Pathology. She has been deemed competent for supervision of training SLP’s in endoscopy by Dr. Ashli O’Rourke from Medical University of South Carolina.
**This course is offered for 1.5 ASHA CEU's (Introductory Level, Professional Area)
$495 registration fee
Pay by Credit Card or Make Check Payable to:
CAROLINA SPEECH PATHOLOGY, LLC
Send the registration form & check to:
Carolina Speech Pathology, LLC
130 Salem Towne Court
Apex, NC 27502
Or Fax the form to:
Course Location & Time:
This Two Day Course Will Be Held At:
Centerpoint Medical Center Auditorium
19600 East 39th Street
Independence, MO 64057
Fairfield Inn (0.8 miles)
18700 E 37th Terrace S, Independence, MO 64057
Hilton Garden Inn (1.2 miles)
19677 E Jackson Dr, Independence, MO 64057
Holiday Inn Express (1.6 miles)
19901 E Valley View Pkwy, Independence, MO 64057
FEES® for Evaluating Oropharyngeal Dysphagia
This two day program provides an opportunity to develop an understanding of the FEES® procedure and gain experience interpreting FEES® for the evaluation and management of oropharyngeal dysphagia. It also includes information on how the procedure compares to the Modified Barium Swallow Study, as well as offer tips on starting a FEES® program at your facility.
Opportunities for hands-on practice are offered both days with supervision from experienced FEES® providers.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Identify the anatomy that can be visualized using FEES®.
2. Differentiate a normal from an abnormal swallow using flexible endoscopy.
3. Establish & follow a protocol for administering a FEES® exam.
4. Identify key anatomical structures. Identify & interpret finding and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention during the performance of a FEES® exam.
5. Implement & adapt the FEES® protocol for different patient populations and settings.
6. Differentiate the use of endoscopy vs. modified barium swallow to manage patients with dysphagia.
7. List the elements necessary to implement FEES® in their employment setting
8. Perform, at an introductory level of skill, how to pass the endoscope safely and learn how to properly position the scope to obtain ideal view during the examination.
FEES® is a registered trademark of Susan Langmore, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BRS-S.