FEES® – Training for the Evaluation of Dysphagia | Beth Cormell (2018)
Beth Cormell, M.S., CCC-SLP has 5 comprehensive Two Day FEES® Training Courses coming to Cary, NC in 2017. Get registered for one now!
This two day course is offered with 1.5 ASHA CEU’s (Intermediate Level)
$525 registration fee includes tuition, course packet & light snacks
Course Location & Time:
- February 2-3, 2018
- April 26-27, 2018
- June 14-15, 2018
- September 20-21, 2018
- November 29-30, 2018
This two day class provides an opportunity to develop an understanding of the FEES procedure for the evaluation and management of oropharyngeal dysphagia. Course topics include: anatomy that can be visualized using FEES, normal and abnormal swallowing physiology, equipment, protocols, FEES and LPR, and basic interpretation including case studies. Participants will receive two days of extensive hands-on training in passing and handling the endoscope safely and effectively. Participants pass the scope, on average, 12-15 times during the class.
Beth Cormell, M.S.,CCC-SLP is a practicing clinical Speech-Language Pathologist at UNCRex Healthcare in Raleigh, NC. She initiated the FEES program at UNCRex in 1997 and since then has completed thousands of FEES, and is responsible for training all hospital speech staff. Beth has been instrumental in training clinicians, and implementing new FEES programs throughout the country. She has taught FEES courses for more than 17 years, and has presented short courses on FEES implementation and application at NCSHLA's Annual Convention and at the ASHA Convention. She has been a Speech-Language Pathologist for over 25 years after graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Demonstrate skillful handling of the endoscope and ability to pass the endoscope in a manner to ensure patient safety and comfort
2. Identify normal and abnormal anatomical landmarks and swallow physiology as it is presented via endoscopy
3. Identify the risks, contraindications and infection control procedures for the FEES® exam
4. Describe protocols for administering a FEES® exam
5. Interpret findings on FEES® exams and identify appropriate therapeutic interventions
6. Explain implementation and adaption fo the FEES® exam for various patient populations and settings
FEES® is a registered trademark of Susan Langmore, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BRS-S.