FEES® – Training for the Evaluation of Dysphagia | Beth Cormell
Beth Cormell, M.S., CCC-SLP has 5 comprehensive Two Day FEES® Training Courses coming to Cary, NC in 2017. Get registered for one now!
This two day course is offered with 1.5 ASHA CEU’s (Intermediate Level)
$495 registration fee includes tuition, course packet & light snacks
Course Location & Time:
- September 21-22, 2017
- November 30 – December 1, 2017
This two day class provides clinicians an opportunity to develop an understanding for administering and interpreting FEES for evaluating oropharyngeal dysphagia. Course topics includes anatomy, as seen through the endoscope, normal and abnormal swallowing physiology, equipment, protocols, FEES and LPR, and interpretation including case studies. Participants will receive two days of extensive hands-on training in passing and handling the endoscope safely and effectively. Participants pass the scope, on average, 15 times during the class.
Beth Cormell, M.S., CCC-SLP. Beth is a clinical Speech Language Pathologist at Rex Healthcare in Raleigh, NC. She initiated the FEES® program at Rex in 1997 and since then has been responsible for training all hospital speech staff in earning endoscopy privileges. She is instrumental in training clinicians and implementing new FEES® programs throughout the country. She has taught FEES® courses for more than 15 years and has presented short courses on FEES® implementation and application at NCSHLA’s Annual Convention and at the ASHA Convention. She has bee a Speech Language Pathologist for over 24 years after graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Demonstrate skillful handling of the endoscope and ability to pass the endoscope in a manner to ensure patient safety and comfort
2. Identify normal and abnormal anatomical landmarks and swallow physiology as it is presented via endoscopy
3. Identify the risks, contraindications and infection control procedures for the FEES® exam
4. Describe protocols for administering a FEES® exam
5. Interpret findings on FEES® exams and identify appropriate therapeutic interventions
6. Explain implementation and adaption fo the FEES® exam for various patient populations and settings
FEES® is a registered trademark of Susan Langmore, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BRS-S.